Wednesday 28 March 2018

My first video mini lecture; What is the difference between Hyeong, Tul and Poomsae?

This is my first ever video mini lecture. It clocks in at 16 minutes, it was unscripted, and I took it as a
fun challenge since I am way more comfortable to write English, than to speak it. It became very "Norwenglish" as a result, but I think it is understandable. If not I have texted the whole clip (so you can even see it without sound as long as you turn on the captions option on youtube). I am still a beginner when it comes to editing video, but I managed to cut out the most fumbling bits, and I managed to insert some illustrations to break up the monotomy of me talking and to give you something to view besides my ugly mug.

I talk about the history, the meanings, translations, reasons why the different organisations uses different terms and much more in this clip. Did you know that we have two different terms Poomse and Poomsae? Do you know the difference between them and what they mean? Do you know when they changed from Poomse to Poomsae and why? Do you know when Choi Hong Hi changed from Hyeong to Tul? That and a whole lot more is in the clip:-) If you enjoy it, and want to see more please subscribe to my youtube channel, and or share the clip with any taekwondo nerd that you know:-)



Because I deal with Hyeong, Tul and Poomse/Poomsae, there will be more than enough to keep any taekwondo stylist (or KMA practisioner) entertained. I need to work on my presentation technique, but this first time it was challenge enough to speak in english :) It is best seen in a full screen format as it is widescreen format.


2 comments:

  1. The kwanjangnim of my organization (or the organization I practice within) who is a 9th dan and Kukkiwon's technical advisor teaches that "pumsae" means "mandatory movements" (my translation of his Spanish words "movimientos obligatorios".

    I can now grasp the pum/품 part from "品" (literally "products" or "goods") as refering to the produced movements, the techniques, thanks to your explanation on video.
    I have however so far failed to find a dictionary that confirms se/세/勢 as "quality", only as "force" or "power"; nor sae/새 as a shortened form of myeongsae/명새/myongsae/묭새/myungsae/뮹새 (I'm not certain of what I hear when you pronunce it), or any notion of obligation.

    Can you elaborate on how you go from 새/sae to the apperance of movements or the rank system?
    Do you have any clue (you seem to have better Korean dictionaries that I) on why someone would say that pumsae means "mandatory movements"?

    And thanks for nerding out so much on taekwondo history. I find it very instructive and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several more needing outs on YouTube now. Man that was difficult to watch for me as my editing and presenting skills have increased since making this. I can try to dig up the references or notes I did for this video but I think it was Book of learning and teaching taekwondo published by the WT(F) around 2008 in regards of your question.

      Delete